Established in 2010, the Footpath at Birmingham Hill allows public access to a portion of the Brandywine Battlefield National Historic Landmark. The Footpath follows a 1.1 mile trail, adjacent to a split rail fence along the perimeter of Brandywine Conservancy property and a segment along Meetinghouse Road provided by the Worth Family Trust. The area remains much as it was in 1777 - open fields and dense woods. An interpretive sign acknowledging the historic event is located at the beginning of the trail for visitors. The footpath can be accessed from a parking area on Birmingham Road, between Wylie and Meetinghouse Roads.
The Battle of the Brandywine was the largest and longest battle of the American Revolution. On September 11, 1777, British and Hessian soldiers outmaneuvered George Washington’s Continentals as they tried to defend against Sir William Howe’s advance on Philadelphia. The most significant fighting took place along Birmingham and Wylie Roads in the vicinity of the Birmingham Meetinghouse and what is now Sandy Hollow Heritage Park.
After marching 17 miles in 9 hours from Kennett Square, Gen. Howe’s army took a break for tea, to rest and refresh in the vicinity of Osbourne Hill. This allowed Gen. Washington to reposition many of his troops from the eastern side of the Brandywine Creek to form a defensive line near the Birmingham Meeting.